How We Hire
Details on the hiring process for engineers at Electric.
Because we understand the value of your time, we keep our hiring process simple. Our focus is on understanding how you think and collaborate, as well as how your past experience might contribute to the future success of our team. A typical hiring process takes about three weeks.
We start with a 30 minute HR phone screen to understand your background and interests, and answer your questions. From there, we move on to a technical phone screen, followed by a 4-hour on-site where you’ll get to know the team, and collaborate on some software design and coding problems. Expect to spend some time at a whiteboard, but no need to cram on algorithms and data structures beforehand.
Then we do one big onsite session that takes 3 to 4 hours. How does that break down?
- Collaborative Whiteboarding (60 Minutes): During this session we discuss, whiteboard, and solve a problem along with two engineers from the team. This isn’t about memorizing code; this is about talking through a problem and seeing how you think.
- System + Architecture Design (45 Minutes): During this session we approach a “big” real world problem with multiple user personas, different interacting apps, apis, and services. Then, we design a solution along with some artificial constraints and assumptions.
- How You Build (45 Minutes): During this session we want to talk about what tools you have used in the past to test your code and debug production issues. Tell us about your past experiences as we share war stories.
- Product Session (30 Minutes): During this session we want to talk about your experience working inside cross collaborative teams. We want to understand how you have followed a user journey and designed solutions with the customer in mind. Tell us about the role you have played in building a project/feature from start to finish.
- Career Goals (30 Mins): Your personal and professional growth is massively important to us. Tell us about your career and your future goals. What do you want to learn? Where do you want to go? Are you interested in mentoring or receiving mentorship?
We hope that helps, and if you have any questions about our hiring process, just ask!
- 3 Weeks.
- 1 HR Phone Screen (30 Min)
- 1 Technical Phone Screen (30 Min)
- 1 Onsite Session (3-4 Hours)
- Live Programming
- Architectural Discussion
- Collaboration, Not Performance
- Cross Functional Meetings
- Code Memorization.